Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Artist Statement

I found a lot of things in my portfolio, looking into the past since January. I see my improvement, from just pictures to works of art. I feel my portfolio turned out beautiful, showing from one improvement to the next, time passing so quickly between the dates and showing my improvement. Over time, I learned that just taking a picture makes it a ‘picture’. A picture is a work of art that expresses something, a picture is a piece that the creator changes to suit what their mind sets it to do.

Over all, I loved all my pictures… I tried to convey my ideas onto my pictures, tried to get it set up to where it would satisfy the want to get it perfect. Although, none of them were perfect, I loved my Metaphor picture… It expressed the most, it let off the most energy, and it allowed a flow of power, of emotions that most people ignore when they do things to another person… however, it was also my second to hardest. The picture that had the most struggles had to be the portraits. Nothing came easily like it normally did. It was most likely the stress of trying to overcome my other projects and do different than just another photo. It was also set to where to express a mood, which I always have trouble with. However, there is a lot of room for improvement on my photo taking skills. I can learn to express my ideas much more and learn how to use the settings better, as I’m not sure how to completely work them.

In the course of time, my influences haven’t very much changed… My friends, the media, and the books my mom gives me… My mom was the largest influence, helping me the most though all my projects and allowed me to try things that most people wouldn’t allow me to do. Due to her, I was able to get better and better pictures as time passed on. I learned which was best, which would work better than the other and would better suit the situations and better go with the lighting. “My pictures are born from an infinite array of pictures in my mind, free-flowing in the sea of my soul, swimming though the rough storm of puberty and ever changing, shifting, and never once staying in the same place… One day, I hope to pierce the sky with my ideas and be able to do any idea.”

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Natalie. Your portfolio is excellent. YOu have consistently put forth full effort in all that you do, whether it is the artwork or the writing. I wish everyone was as courageous and bold as you. I have really enjoyed your artwork all semester, and I am glad you joined our class. I wish you the best of luck in all your artistic endeavors- I have no doubt of your success!